Arizona State closing in on QB decision for 2026 season

· Yahoo Sports

A starting quarterback decision is coming soon in Tempe.

Visit saltysenoritaaz.com for more information.

Coach Kenny Dillingham said that Cutter Boley and Mikey Keene have separated themselves from the rest of the group following the team’s scrimmage at Camp Tontozona in Payson.

“I think Cutter had a really good scrimmage,” Dillingham said on August 17. “I think, minus a couple plays, Mikey had a really good scrimmage. I think both those guys have kind of separated themselves. Jake (Fette) had a real good camp; Cam (Dyer) started out, and he's coming back now.

“I think it is separating, or was. There was a guy with a better scrimmage than another, just from no turnovers and stuff like that. But it's still a competition.”

After being asked when a decision will be made, Dillingham said he wants to get through the remainder of fall camp. When Sam Leavitt won the starting job back in 2024, that decision was announced on August 19.

Classes start at Arizona State on Thursday. 

“We're not done with camp yet, so I think we should get through camp first,” Dillingham said. “Then go from there and really assess the entire camp before. Both those guys have had pretty good camps when we looked at it yesterday. 

“Those guys have combined for three interceptions. All-team periods, all camp. One of those interceptions was a wideout cramping and falling off the field. So you're talking two interceptions in a fall camp team period. That's pretty good.”

Offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo has been impressed so far with the efficiency in practice from Boley and Keene.

“We really hone in on these team series, call it situational football, with the bulk group,” Arroyo said. “And that's where you can see where Mikey and Cutter have really started to push themselves in a position to be up on those guys right now. That's what's gonna happen here in the second half of camp.”

ASU opens the season at home against Morgan State on September 5.

Logan Stanley is a sports reporter with The Arizona Republic who primarily focuses on high school, college and Olympic sports. To suggest ideas for human-interest stories and other news, reach out to Stanley at [email protected] or 707-293-7650. Follow him on X, formerly Twitter: @LSscribe.

This article originally appeared on Arizona Republic: Arizona State closing in on QB decision for 2026 season

Read full story at source